Hasty, haphazardish, OFF-HAND... yup that's pretty much who I am =)

SlapDash

Saturday, December 23, 2006

My Daddy

I used to always say that I wanted to marry a guy just like my dad when I grew up. To me there wasn't a great soul on this earth besides my father's and I wanted to find someone exactly like dad to marry. Then when I spent 2 weekends with my dad while mom was out to Arizona I realized that there were some qualities in my dad that I could not live with. (like how he can go hours without saying anything, or his housekeeping capabilities (or lack thereof)) But today when the doorbell rang while I was making dinner I realized how wonderful my dad really is. There was a man at the door holding a 20 lb ham for our family because of my dad. Later I asked my mom what dad did to deserve a 20 lb ham. She told me that earlier this year that man's wife suddenly passed away and dad, though this man was a member of another church in Redfield, took it upon himself to go visit him and after that this man came to him for counseling and my dad continued just to befriend him and spend time with him. This man was soo touched that he's been singing my dad's praises through our little 200 person town. Apparently a guy on the fire department that my dad volenteers on said that this particular man is very hard to please and always wants more than what's even required and for him to be sooo pleased with my dad means something. And all the sudden I was overwhelmed with a sense a pride because that's my dad. And though I may not want to marry a guy EXACTLY like my dad, I do want to marry someone with similar qualities like caring and being concerned for people unconditionally, even if they don't deserve it and even though you'll get nothing in return... that's a mark of a great man!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Add a comment